Pushcart Derby at Rivian
Registration Deadline: Friday, September 25
Location: Rivian, 100 N. Rivian Motorway, Normal, IL 61761
- Masks will be required on site.
- Register as an individual or team of 5 racers. Participant Fee includes all materials, t-shirt, snacks, and lunch.
- This event has been modified to comply with COVID- 19 health and safety guidelines.
- Please, watch our website for additional updates and health instructions.
Gather your friends and family for the 4th Annual CDM Pushcart Derby at Rivian Automotive! The Children’s Discovery Museum will once again partner with Illinois State University’s Center for Mathematics, Science, and Technology for this annual fundraiser powered by STEAM.
Teams of youth (3rd – 8th grade) will begin the day with a workshop led by ISU and Museum educators. Implementing Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math within the design process, teams will use this time to construct their unique carts and prepare for the challenge ahead. Teams consist of 5 youth. Registration is $25 per participant. Register as an individual or team of 5 racers. Participant Fee includes all materials, t-shirt, snacks, and lunch.
Afterwards, teams test their designs and race to the finish in the road course derby. Prizes will be awarded for Team Work, STEAM Award, and Speed.
Construction supplies are provided. All you have to bring is your mask, love of learning and plenty of muscle power!
Proceeds from the fundraising event support the Museum’s mission – enabling the expansion of programs, creation of exhibits, continuation of outreach initiatives and scholarship provision for disadvantaged youth.
If you have questions about this event or sponsorship opportunities contact, Amy Pitzer at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
We are excited to partner with Rivian Automotive as our venue sponsor for the 2020 Pushcart Derby! We encourage you to learn more about our new partner and neighbor in Normal! Rivian seeks to develop vehicles, products and services related to sustainable transportation. Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. They believe there is a more responsible way to explore the world and are determined to make the transition to sustainable transportation an exciting one. They designed their emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles to challenge what’s possible. This year's Pushcart participants might be Rivian's future engineers!
Opportunities are now available for the 2020 Event. Please, contact Amy Pitzer at email@example.com for more information.
Team Sponsor: $150
Cart Sponsor: $500
Winner's Circle: $750
Parts and Supplies: $1,000
Track Sponsor: $2,500
Event Cancellation Policy: No refunds will be given due to inclement weather or event cancellation. Your registration is a donation to the Children's Discovery Museum Foundation. The safety of our participants and volunteers is our primary concern. In the event of cancellation not due to weather the museum will provide each participant with their event t-shirt and a STEAM experience equivalent to the value of your participation fee. In the event of inclement weather, the race will continue under the following circumstances:
Rain Location: We do have a rain location in place and if the Pushcart Derby Planning Committee and CDM Staff determine inclement weather is unavoidable for event day we will make arrangements to move the event to the rain location and notify participants on Friday afternoon.
Day of Event Weather Plan:
- Rain - the event will NOT be cancelled due to rain alone.
- Lightning - If lightning is seen or thunder is heard, the event will be postponed for a minimum of 20 minutes until no signs of the storm are present. Participants should seek shelter in their vehicles. If lightning continues 20 minutes after the scheduled event start, the race will be subject to cancellation.
- Tornado Warning - The race will be canceled in the event of a tornado warning. If the event is canceled, pay attention to information on how participant packets may be picked up. Any event updates the day prior to the event will be emailed to participants. Day of event updates will be available on the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ChildrensDiscoveryMuseumNormal/